Signs and symptoms in dads
What you might be feeling:
- Overwhelmed by the changes to your family, new responsibilities, and additional stress.
- Uncertainty in your role, how to physically and emotionally support the mother or how to care for your new child.
- Isolated from your friends, partner, work, or baby.
- Frustration, anger or irritability
- Dread over what fatherhood will be like, finances, fear of the future, feeling unprepared.
Why it matters:
- Dads who are involved have more socially competent, emotionally stable, and less aggressive children
- Fathers spending time with their children early on have a closer bond with their children years later
What you can do:
- Call for support and connect with resources: Leave a message on our phone line and we will call you back within 24 hours
- Join up with other dads: We offer groups led by trained facilitators. You are not alone, and your feelings will be validated by people who are there to listen.
- Engage your child: Learn from volunteers and other parents with personal experiences to share.
Baby Blues Connection can help. Give us a call toll-free 1-800-557-8375.